You are probably starting to catch onto the fact that I love making my meals in bulk. My crockpot has become my best friend in the kitchen, as it allows me to make healthy meals for the whole week. Today’s recipe is a great bulk meal that is packed with a variety of nutrients. It is warming to the body and a delicacy to your taste buds!
Sweet-Potato Beef Casserole
- 2-3 lbs grass-fed ground beef (3 cups beans for a vegan option)
- 1 tbsp grass fed butter or ghee
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 sweet-potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups organic tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper just before serving
How to put it together:
- Sauté onions in the butter or ghee over medium heat in a large frying pan for 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and break the meat up with a spatula.
- As the beef is browning turn the heat up to medium-high and add the oregano and basil. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Lay the sliced yams at the bottom of the slow cooker, and then add the peppers and mushrooms.
- Place the mixture of onions and beef on top and then pour the tomato sauce over it.
- Cook on low heat for 6 hours and enjoy!
- If you chose to go with the vegan option, soak dry beans overnight or for 8 hours in enough water to cover the beans. Once the beans are done soaking drain them and rinse with cold water. Soaking helps get rid of the anti-nutrients in beans and grains that cause bloating, gas, heartburn and general intestinal discomfort.
The Nutrient Profile of This Dish:
Grass-Fed Beef: High in all B-vitamins, iron, zinc and protein. By choosing grass-fed beef you are getting a healthier dose of nutrients. Grass-fed animals don’t contain the large quantities of antibiotics that feedlot cattle do, they produce the right kind of omega-3 fats and they are higher in beta-carotene and other trace mineral.
Sweet Potatoes: Rich in the carotenoid beta-carotene, which helps to raise our blood levels of vitamin A. Vitamin A is key for good vision, a healthy immune system and cell growth.
Onion: High in sulfur containing compounds that have many cardiovascular benefits. They work to prevent unwanted blood clotting, lower blood levels of cholesterol and improve cell membrane function in red blood cells.
Bell Peppers: Anti-inflammatory, blood balancing & supports circulation. Rich in Vitamin A, B6, C, E & Carotenoids.
Mushrooms: Deliver important nutrients including niacin, selenium, riboflavin, B-vitamins and panthothenic acid. Mushrooms help with the production of hormones, play an important role in the nervous system, help maintain healthy red blood cells and promote healthy skin.
Jalapenos: The compound capsaicin that makes jalapenos hot also has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and promotes healthy blood flow. Capsacicin has also shown to increase energy expenditure after consumption, which helps rev up your metabolism for weight loss.
Garlic: Garlic has amazing medicinal properties due to its active ingredient allicin. It is a powerful antioxidant with antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral agents.
Oregano: Contains high amounts of Omega-3’s, iron, manganese and antioxidants that protect the body and provide support against common infectious ailments.
Basil: Contains a wide range of essential oils and antioxidants that reduce inflammation and swelling.
Tomatoes: High in lycopene, a very powerful antioxidant. Lycopene has been shown to lower the risk for heart disease, some cancers and age related illness.
This dish contains a wide range of amazing nutrients that will nourish your body and feed your soul. It also has a great balance of proteins, carbs and fats, making it the perfect healthy meal. If you want to feed your body amazing nutrients but aren’t quite sure how to do so contact me to schedule a cooking lesson. I would love to help you get your health back on track by increasing your confidence in the kitchen.