Every time we go to my mother in law’s house I’m always impressed because it seems like she always has a meal in her back pocket ready to go. One of my favorite meals that she always has on hand is home made taco soup. She always keeps some in the freezer so if anyone is hungry it can be defrosted on the stove and ready to go in less than ten minutes.
I finally decided to ask her for the recipe and when I made it I was so impressed because not only is it cheap but it can be made in 15 minutes and it provides meals for a few days. What else could you ask for? Well….I guess you could ask for it to be healthy and delicious…and don’t worry it is!! It’s one of those all around good meals that you don’t have to feel guilty about in any way. The cost to make it is under $20, it makes about 10-12 servings and it is packed with nutrients!
Here are some of the amazing nutritional benefits of this soup:
- It is packed with protein! Between the beans and the ground chicken you will definitely feel full after eating this meal.
- Speaking of beans….Besides being filled with protein they contain a ton of fiber to help fight high cholesterol, they have cancer fighting agents and the phytochemicals in them can protect against heart disease!
- The zucchini in the soup is a great way to sneak in an extra serving of green vegetables into your day. Plus zucchini is packed with antioxidants and we all know what a big fan I am of antioxidants!! Antioxidants are the lifeblood of our health and without them our bodies degenerate at a much faster rate.
- The tomatoes are packed full of beneficial nutrients and antioxidants and are a rich source of vitamins A and C and folic acid. One specific antioxidant in tomatoes, called lycopene (which makes them red), has been shown to support healthy bones!
So now that we have covered that this soup is basically A-M-A-Z-I-N-G on all levels lets actually cook it! The recipe and pretty pictures to accompany are found below.
Healthy Taco Soup
- 1 8oz Can Pinto Beans
- 1 8oz Can Black Beans
- 1 8oz Can Red Kidney Beans
- 2 Medium Zucchini
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 28oz Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (I use Muir Glen Organic Brand)
- 1 Can Rotel or two 7oz cans Herdez Salsa
- 1 Fresh Ear of Corn
- 1lb ground chicken or turkey
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large pan/pot on the stove pour in all of your beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning mix and salsa and turn the heat to medium.
- Chop your zucchini into small pieces and add to them to the mix.
- Remove your corn off of the cob or use 1 cup of frozen corn and add it to the mix.
- Saute your ground chicken with ground salt and pepper until fully cooked and add it to the mix once its done.
- Let the mix cook for 5-10 minutes on high.
- Serve and enjoy with your favorite toppings. Some topping ideas include a little bit of cheese, corn tortilla chips, avocado or cilantro.
All of your ingredients.
Chop your zucchini and remove the corn from the cob.
Add the zucchini and corn to the mix of beans, tomatoes and salsa that is cooking on medium heat.
Saute your ground chicken with salt and pepper.
Add the ground chicken to the mix.
Stir together all of the ingredients and let it cook for 5-10 minutes on high.
Serve and Enjoy!!
Look at that soup working the camera!!!!
And just one more angle just in case the first two didn’t look delicious enough!
xoxo The Wellness Paige