Trying to stay healthy when you love chocolate isn’t always an easy task. Personally I love having a little dark chocolate after my meals. For me the darker the chocolate the better it tastes. Usually one little piece is just enough to satisfy my sweet tooth but other times that isn’t the case. Other times I want to indulge in more than just a square of dark chocolate or I want some variety in my routine. Ya feel me?
If you know me you know that I love creating healthy versions of unhealthy treats. I believe that almost every treat or recipe can be altered to make a healthier version so that you can eat it guilt free. The key is to swap a few ingredients and make a few replacements without sacrificing flavor. Today we are going to do just that and the end result is going to be chocolate truffles! Yes, you read that right, creamy, decadent, chocolate truffles.
If you’re anything like me you will be popping these things in your mouth left and right. Oh and did I mention they are filled with protein and multiple superfoods! Ok lets stop drooling over these things and get to making them. Here’s how:
DUTCH CHOCOLATE PROTEIN TRUFFLES
- 1/2 cup of nuts (walnuts, cashews, pecans, almonds or a mixture)
- 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds
- A few pinches of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons of chocolate protein powder (I love USANA Dutch Chocolate)
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 cup of pitted dates (softer the better)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of cocoa nibs
- ½ bar of 60-80% dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- If your dates are hard at all soak them in water for about an hour until they are soft.
- Place all of the nuts, seeds, protein powder and a few pinches of sea salt in a food processor or high speed blender.
- Blend until broken down into fine pieces.
- Add the dates and vanilla extract and blend until a “dough” forms and all of the ingredients are stuck together.
- Take the dough out of the food processor/blender. Use your hands to shape into balls.
- Melt your dark chocolate on low in a sauce pan.
- Dip the balls in the melted dark chocolate and roll in the cocoa nibs.
- Allow to firm in the fridge or freezer.
- Store in the fridge or the freezer.