Back when I was in high school playing sports 24-7 and eating whatever I wanted I would down cookies like they were water. I especially loved oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! Then I got to college and realized that the pain in my stomach every night was caused by gluten and dairy so I cut them both out of my diet and out went the cookies as well!
For a while I wept and cried at night because I couldn’t have my cookies anymore (that part is a lie….I did miss them though :)! ) I thought that I would never be able to have cookies again because after all the two main ingredients in cookies are flour (gluten) and butter (dairy). Then I came up with this recipe and it allows me to have my cookies and eat them too! Yay!!
I must warn you though…these cookies are addicting!! I’ve been making them almost twice a week because I’m nursing and they are a great healthy snack that also help boost my milk supply! They contain a good balance of complex carbs, healthy fats and protein, are packed with fiber and have a nice supply of omega 3 fatty acids!
Enough drooling…you’ve been patient enough! Preheat your oven to 375, pull out your kitchen mixer and lets get to baking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (buy gluten free ones if gluten is an issue for you)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Ripe Banana
- 1 cup of natural peanut butter (ingredients should only be peanuts and salt)
- 1/4 cup Ground Flax Seeds
- 1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/4 cup Agave or Honey
- 2 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup Carob Chips or Enjoy Life Brand Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Put all ingredients except the banana and chocolate chips in the mixer and mix together.
- Blend or smash the banana then add it to the mix.
- Add in the chocolate chips last.
- Scoop your dough onto a cookie sheet and flatten each cookie to about 3/4″ to 1″ thick.
- Cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the sides of the cookies are golden brown.
xoxo Paige Hilken